One of the best things about summer (actually, maybe the only thing…I DON’T do heat!) is having access to so many fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs. And, thank Prague, because I’m completely obsessed with this tasty summer salad!
In my attempt to find my healthier self, I’ve been learning a lot about the foods that I put into my body and their real health benefits. I’ve never been one to just listen to what someone says, and I’m certainly not going to go out and jump on every fad that airs on one of these mind-numbing talk shows. Sure, as a child my parents said, ‘Eat your vegetables; they’re good for you,’ but I needed to know why before I would touch them.
I’m so thankful for having that explorative, curious mindset. It has served me well, thus far, and continues to be my greatest asset in learning how to properly fuel and take care of my body. See, I’m not looking to make a quick, easy change. I’m in this for the long-haul, so I want to make certain that I’m treating my body with respect.
Anyway, this is a long way of saying, this salad is super tasty, and very good for you! Seriously, I eat this almost on a daily basis, and I can honestly say that I’ve felt so much better since we started making it in the Spring.
- Cucumber (I like both the Hothouse and Persian varieties for this salad)
- Fresh Basil
- Salt & Pepper
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Thyme Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette (Trader Joe’s)
- Goat Cheese
Here are just some of the health benefits of these ingredients. I encourage you to do your own research, as well 🙂
- Cucumber – full of antioxidants, protects your brain, fights inflammation, reduces risk of cancer, manages stress with multiple B vitamins, supports digestive and heart health
- Tomato – great source of vitamins, promote healthy skin, helps maintain strong bones, fights cancer, balances blood sugar, improves vision, makes hair strong and shiny, prevents kidney and gallstones, reduces chronic pain
- Avocado – improves cardiovascular health, helps maintain healthy blood pressure, reduces risk of cancer, improves skin tone and appearance, balances blood sugar, helps manage joint inflammation and arthritis, supports digestive and heart health
- Basil – improves skin tone and appearance, acts as a stress reliever, excellent source of iron, helps to detoxify the liver, protects against bacteria growth, fights inflammation, improves cardiovascular health
- Apple Cider Vinegar – kills bacteria, lowers blood sugar, lowers cholesterol, promotes digestive health, helps to detoxify the liver, clears sinuses
Mix all of the ingredients according to your own preference. Play with it a bit until you find the flavor you’re looking for. We go light on the vinaigrette with a good splash of apple cider vinegar. You don’t want to pour too much of anything on top; the flavors are already so full and tasty!
What’s your favorite summer salad?